Thursday, July 28, 2011

Taco night

Tacos - yum!  Is there any other more perfect food than the taco?  I don't think so!  Beef tacos, fajita tacos, bean tacos, breakfast tacos, I could go on and on.  Eventually, I'm sure I will post recipes for all of my favorites here on my blog.  But tonight was beef taco night here in the Drosche house.  Tacos are quick and versatile.  And you can do a lot of different things with the leftovers. 

If tacos are my comfort food (which they are!!!), then packet taco seasoning was my security blanket.  I have to admit that I always used those little packets to make tacos.  But a few years ago, I was craving tacos but didn't have any seasoning packets in the house.   So I went searching online for recipes.  Come to find out those seasoning packets are mostly salt and little taco magic.  That night, I pulled different jars from my spice cabinets and made tacos from scratch.  My recipe has adapted over the years and to tell the truth, tonight was the first time I ever measured it out.  :)  These tacos have a little kick to them, nothing crazy, just some nice heat.  I love the way the beef is spicy and the sour cream cools everything down. 

When it comes to toppings, I used salsa, cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce, and sour cream.  But really, the options are truly endless.  I have to add that if you ask my mom, toppings have a very special order.  Cheese is always on top of the meat, so it can melt.  Next comes the lettuce and tomato.  Last is salsa and sour cream.  I always laugh when we eat tacos at my mom's house because my job is to line up the toppings in the "correct order."  So schedule a taco night with your family this week and enjoy!  Will you step out of our comfort zone and try something new from scratch?  Will you conform to taco topping order or try something new?  Post a comment and let me know.

Beef Tacos 
Ingredients:

1 lb ground beef (I use 93/7)
1/2 small onion, diced finely
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 pinch dried oregano
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup water

Instructions:
1.  Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium high heat with onion and garlic.
2.  Drain grease (if any).
3.  Put beef/onions/garlic back in the pan.
4.  Add cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, & pepper.  Allow to cook for a minute or two.  (This is an important step and helps develop the flavors of the spices)
5.  Add water and simmer for about five minutes
6.  EAT!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment