Tuesday, January 3, 2012

At home does not always mean homemade

If this is going to be an honest blog about what really gets cooked over here at the Drosche house, I need to lay all my cupboards bare.  :)  Yesterday for dinner, it was one of those get food on the table in 30 minutes or less kind of nights; I know you have them too.  I had leftover spaghetti and meatballs in the fridge and some hunks of leftover pot roast.  Spaghetti did not sound good at all.  So I grabbed the leftover pot roast, shredded it, threw it in a saucepan and flavored it up with a bottle of barbeque sauce from the pantry.  I know, I know, I could make a homemade sauce and it would probably be uber delicious, but it was definitely a get it done and get-to-the-table kind of night.  I cringed as I read the first ingredient on the label of the barbeque sauce which was high fructose corn syrup, but then I thought about what the first ingredient in McDonald's chicken nuggets might be and I let it go. So just a few minutes later, with barbeque beef on the buns, some frozen french fries (gasp), and apple slices on the plate, our family was sitting down to eat.  The truth is that I'm not going to be able to make everything from scratch everyday; it's just never going to happen.  So I'm going to be honest about these quick, throw-together meals that hit the menu (whether planned or unplanned) here at the Drosche house.  Maybe they'll help you in your get dinner to the table on those 30 minutes or less kind of nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment